If you’ve ever wanted a ‘Paleo’ dessert that would win over your family members and turn your friends into besties, this could be it. Through extensive recipe testing, we’ve come up with an amazing crust. Most people would have not ideat that his is ‘Paleo’ and all who have tasted this ask, “Is that a graham cracker crust?”
Stay tuned for smoked turkey, fried turkey, and the verdict on if it’s worth it to brine your bird or not. Also, check out the other Holiday Series videos!
PS If you have time, say a quick prayer for “The Jo” as he’s headed into surgery this morning…
Paleo Pumpkin Tart
Ingredient List for the crust:
- 1 cup dry roasted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
Preparation Instructions for the Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Puree macadamia nuts in a food processor until a crumb like consistency is reached, then add coconut flour and pulse 2-3 times to incorporate.
- Swap out food processor blade for dough blade (the shorter plastic one) and add almond meal, coconut oil and honey. (You can perform this step with a wooden spoon and mixing bowl as well.)
- Blitz until ingredients are uniformly combined, then remove bowl from processor and blade from bowl.
- Divide “dough” between two 8” fluted tart pans (preferably with a removable bottom) and press dough evenly into all surfaces.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the center rack of the oven. Crust will turn golden brown on all surfaces.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Ingredient List for the filling:
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 8 dates, pitted and pulled in two
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ of a nutmeg “nut”, freshly ground with a Microplane
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Preparation Instructions for the Filling:
- Place dates in a food processor and blitz until a paste is formed. Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth and well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until a simmer is achieved.
- Remove from heat and divide between the two, cooled pie crusts.
- Allow to cool completely, preferably overnight, which will set the filling.
- When it is time to serve, pop the fluted rim from the tart pan, cut into 8 slices, and serve with whipped coconut milk and fresh mint.
- Enjoy, share with your friends, and
“Keep It Paleo!”